JustAnswer Blog: General

You are here

When to use Schedules C and E for your taxes

Man eating pasta while sitting in front of his computer screen.

Sometimes work doesn't stop for dinner. (Photo: Flickr/Victor1558)

When to use Schedules C and E for your taxes

January 14, 2013

Q: When does a small business flow to a Schedule E and when to a Schedule C?

A: Schedule E is for situation where you have rental income, receive royalties, or have income reported on a Schedule K-1 from a partnership of S corporation. Here is a fact sheet on Schedule E.

Schedule C is for self-employment activities. This is when you have a business other than rental real estate activity. Here is a fact sheet regarding Schedule C.

-- Answer from Meg C., an accountant on JustAnswer.

Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.