JustAnswer Blog: Pets

You are here

What should I do if my dog eats Halloween candy?

(Photo Credit: petsadviser.com)

What should I do if my dog eats Halloween candy?

October 24, 2013

Q: Help! I returned home to discover my 60-pound dog had eaten close to 50 ounces of Halloween candy (a combination of Twix, Butterfinger, Almond Joy and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups). It’s been about 3 hours since she’s eaten the candy, but I’m wondering if there is anything I should do now?

A: The good news is that even though chocolate contains substances that are toxic to dogs, the candy bars you listed are mostly made up of ingredients other than chocolate. Which means that while your dog’s toxic dose of milk chocolate is about 40 ounces, it’s highly unlikely she ate enough pure milk chocolate to put her in danger. Even so, consuming 20-30 ounces of chocolate could give her an increased heart rate and put her at risk of vomiting and diarrhea.

In general, the suggested cutoff point for inducing vomiting after your dog has eaten chocolate is about one hour. After this point the chocolate has probably already been absorbed into her system. In the instance you still want to try to make her vomit, give her about 60cc of hydrogen peroxide (4 tablespoons) by mouth, every 10 minutes until she vomits or take her to an emergency clinic.

- Answer from Dr. Matt, a licensed veterinarian on JustAnswer.