Ready to come out and play. (Photo: Flickr/Frank Jania)
Q: My 6-year-old female goat has dry skin with no hair on the scabby spots. What can I do about this?
A: In most cases this is due to a fungal infection. This is caused by a warm environment and moisture. To cover your bases, follow these instructions:
1. Worm with a good all-around wormer, such as Ivomec.
2. Spray with a lice spray that you can purchase at the farm supply store.
3. Isolate this goat from others.
4. Apply Betadine to the hairless areas every 8 hours (available at farm supply store).
5. If she is scratching at these areas, give her Benadryl at 1mg per pound every 12 hours for 7 days, in case this is an allergic reaction.
If she doesn't respond, have your vet examine her and do a skin scraping to know for sure if this treatment is correct.
-- Answer from Dr. Loretta, a large-animal veterinarian on JustAnswer.
Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.