(Photo: Flickr/Mick Talbot)
Q: I was in the mountains yesterday for a barbecue, and I must have been bitten by 150 mosquitoes! My legs are covered, and the nonstop itching is driving me insane! I'm starting to scratch open my skin, it's so bad. What do you recommend?
A: I am sorry to hear about this. You need to do a few things:
- Take an antihistamine tablet like chlorpheniramine for three to four days.
- Wash the affected area with water.
- You can apply ice for relief also.
- If itching is very severe, try 1% hydrocortisone cream (over-the-counter) on the affected area.
- Try not to cover the area with clothing.
- Avoid scratching.
If you develop fever, or symptoms persist or worsen, then you should visit your doctor.
-- Answer from Dr. Hasan, physician on JustAnswer.
Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.