Daily Question is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided from an expert on JustAnswer.
Q: What can I use as natural remedies for sinusitis?
A: The main aim of treatment of sinusitis is to decrease the inflammation of the mucus membrane of the sinuses and help in drainage of the sinus discharge. You can do this by:
1. Drinking hot liquids. One of the best ways to unclog sinuses is to drink hot tea, water, or hot chicken soup throughout the day. These help moisturize your mucous membranes, speeding up the movement of your cilia and thus washing mucus out of your sinuses more quickly.
2. Apply warm compresses to your face. Do this three times a day for five minutes. A small towel soaked in warm water, then placed over your face below and between the eyes, will help increase the circulation in your sinuses, which will also help speed up the movement of your cilia.
3. Irrigate your sinuses. Use a neti pot if you can to irrigate your nasal passages with warm water.
4. Make a warm brew. Add ginger and honey to hot water to help decrease the inflammation. Or add 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar to 1/2 cup warm water and drink this twice daily. Apple cider vinegar helps thin the mucus.
– Answer from Dr. M.D. Mazumdar, physician and expert on JustAnswer.
Got a specific question about your health? Click here to speak with a doctor or nurse right now on JustAnswer. Or use the blue box in the upper right corner.