(Photo: Flickr/Angela Schmeidel Randall)
Q: Will spraying a mixture of methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), vinegar, and bleach be a safe mixture to kill mold that grew from a house flooded with salt water?
A: The short answer is "No!" MEK is a solvent and is EXTREMELY flammable. If you go around soaking the house with it all you will do is create a BIG fire hazard.
The best way to get rid of mold is hot soapy water with some bleach in it. No, you will not eradicate the mold completely. After you have scrubbed the moldy places, spray them with a moldicide. That will kill any spores that remain behind.
Something to remember is mold requires three things to thrive. A surface to grow on, food (dust works for most molds), and moisture. Eliminate any one of these, and no more mold. The surface and dust obviously can't be eliminated. Moisture can. Get a good quality dehumidifier, and the moisture problem is also solved.
-- Answer from Leon Smith, a home improvement repair consultant on JustAnswer.
Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.